Stop specific users from receiving Word documents
If you want to prevent specific users from receiving emails with a Word document attachment, you'll need to use a Message Rule, along with several sets of Custom Rule Data.
Create a list of users to target
Create a new Custom Rule Data called No Word Document Users. Add the email address for each user you want to target, each on a new line.
Create a RegEx to identify Word documents
Create a new Custom Rule RegEx called Word documents. Use the following as the RegEx Data field:
Create a Message Rule
Create a new Message Rule called Block Word documents. Configure the Rule as follows:
- Add a Direction Condition with the value set to Matches: Inbound.
- Add a Recipient Condition with the value set to Matches: No Word Document Users.
- Add an Attachment Name Condition with the value set to Matches: Word documents.
- Add a Notify Sender Action. Enter an appropriate message to be shown to the email's sender.
- Add a Permanent Drop Error Action. Set the data to 5.0.5 Looks like Spam.
Do not add a Final Action.
Prioritise the new Rule
Move the Rule to a sensible place in your Message Rules list. If your Service Provider has provisioned your account with a set of default Rules, placing this new Rule between the Confirmed Spam and Possible Spam Rules is a good choice.