Collecting debug information - USS Agent for Windows
If you have been asked to collect debug information regarding a version of the USS Agent for Windows, please follow these steps.
Collect environmental information
Please provide your service provider with as much of the following as possible:
- Version of the USS Agent installed - find this by right-clicking the tray icon and selecting About.
- The Microsoft Windows operating system version - find this in Control Panel / System
- Whether the operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit - find this in Control Panel / System
- The names of any Internet security software installed, particularly anti-malware software, and the version numbers. Find this in Control Panel / Programs and Features list.
- Where possible, the steps to re-create the issue
Collect debug logs
The log files written out by the USS Agent are extremely helpful in understanding any problem. By default,
standard debug level is enabled but you should change this to
Extra Logging. To do this, right-click on the tray icon and then select Enable Extra Logging.
Once you've have recreated the original problem, with Extra Logging enabled, you should zip up the log data directory and send it to your service provider. To do this, navigate to
C:\Program Files\USSAgent\USSAgent\logs .
Collecting a process dump
For more complex issues, it may be necessary to collect a Process Dump to allow deeper investigation into the problem.
If the problem resulted in a Blue Screen (BSOD) then the dump file should be located in:
If there is no file here, or the crash results in the process itself stopping or hanging, follow these steps:
ProcDumpcommand line tool.
- Re-create the problem
Delto start the Task Manager
- Click the Processes tab and order by Name
- Find the
USS Agent Serviceprocess.
- Right-click and select Create dump file
- Wait a few moments whilst the process dump file is written out.
- Repeat the steps for all processes with the same name in the list.
- Zip up all of the resulting
.dmpfiles and send them to your service provider.